Tooltip component can render a variety of content ranging from short descriptive text, to paragraphs with links, or more complex interactive popovers.
The component provides a variety of props to configure tooltip behavior for these different use cases (i.e.
dialog), and to customize styling (i.e.
className). The element that triggers a
Tooltip can also be fully customized via props (i.e.
See Storybook "Tooltip" page for React documentation.
The following CSS variables can be overridden to customize Tooltip fields:
- Use for helpful, non-critical information to strengthen an existing message.
- Use to increase certainty and enhance confidence about an interaction.
- Use with brief descriptions as tooltips perform best with succinct text.
- Tooltips are useful as a last resort for space-constrained UI. Explore other options for keeping content visible without a tooltip.
- Don’t hide information necessary for completing a task behind a tooltip interaction.
- Tooltips are microcopy and should be brief. Don't use a tooltip if you need a lot of text.
- Don’t use a tooltip when its content is repetitive or if usability is obvious.
- If content can fit outside a tooltip, don't use a tooltip.
For more information about how we tested and validated our work for each checklist item, read our component maturity documentation.
ColorMeets AA color contrast standards for accessibility and color blindness.Complete
Forced Colors Mode (FCM)While using FCM the components text is legible and improves readability.Complete
WCAG 2.1 Level AA ConformanceAll Axe checks for WCAG AA compliance have passed.Complete
Screen readersVoiceOver, NVDA, and JAWS screen readers provide concise communication and interaction.Complete
Keyboard navigationComponent is fully navigable with a keyboard.Complete
StorybookComponent has stories to cover all defined props.Complete
ResponsiveComponent designed to work in all responsive breakpoints.Complete
Spanish translationsIncludes Spanish translations for default text content.Not applicable
CodeTokens implemented in code.Complete
DesignTokens implemented in the Sketch.Complete