|Called anytime any date input is blurred|
|Called anytime any date input is changed. This function is called with two arguments.
The first argument should be used to update whatever state your application uses to
supply back to this component's |
|Sets the input's |
|The initial month to show in the calendar picker. If not provided, defaults to the month of the currently selected date.|
|Earliest day to start month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Earliest month to start month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Earliest year to start month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Latest day to end month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Latest month to end month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Latest year to end month navigation in the calendar picker. (This does not restrict dates entered manually.)|
|Additional classes to be added to the root element.|
|Location of the error message relative to the field input|
|A unique |
|Label for the field.|
|Additional classes to be added to the field label|
|A unique |
|Enable the error state by providing an error message.|
|Additional classes to be added to the error message|
|The ID of the error message applied to this field.|
|Additional hint text to display|
|Set to |
|Text showing the requirement (ie. "Optional", or "Required"). In most cases, this should be used to indicate which fields are optional. See the form guidelines for more info.|
|Additional classes to be added to the label text.|
The following CSS variables can be overridden to customize Input/Form components:
This component also makes use of form field styles, which can be customized by the following variables:
When to use
- Use the date input when your user flow does not require separate fields for month, day, and year.
- Use the date input for most dates, particularly memorable dates like date of birth, marriage date, health coverage start or end dates, or income start date.
When to consider alternatives
- Don't use if users are entering a date within the last year or a future date. Instead, use the date picker.
Allow users to have flexibility in entering the date, such as allowing one-digit numbers with or without "0" prior to the number, or entering a date with or without slashes to separate month, day, and year.
- Example: "1" as well as "01" for a month or day.
- Example: "05/01/2022" as well as "05012022".
- These text fields should follow the accessibility guidelines for all text inputs.
- Users will be able to enter a variety of date formats that automatically format to the correct date format of MM/DD/YYYY. This change happens once the form field loses focus. For example, a user enters a date as "4122020" and it changes to "04/01/2020" once focus leaves the date input.
For more information about how we tested and validated our work for each checklist item, read our component maturity documentation.
ColorMeets AA color contrast standards for accessibility and color blindness.Complete
Forced Colors Mode (FCM)While using FCM the components text is legible and improves readability.Complete
WCAG 2.1 Level AA ConformanceAll Axe checks for WCAG AA compliance have passed.Complete
Screen readersVoiceOver, NVDA, and JAWS screen readers provide concise communication and interaction.Complete
Keyboard navigationComponent is fully navigable with a keyboard.Complete
StorybookComponent has stories to cover all defined props.Complete
ResponsiveComponent designed to work in all responsive breakpoints.Complete
Spanish translationsIncludes Spanish translations for default text content.Complete
CodeTokens implemented in code.Complete
DesignTokens implemented in the Sketch.Complete