See Storybook for React guidance of this component.
The following CSS variables can be overridden to customize Badge components:
- To draw attention to new, important content on a page that might otherwise be missed.
- To filter results with one or more tags.
- To indicate the number of new or unread items within a container. For example, to indicate the number of unread messages within a person’s inbox.
- When users are likely to confuse a badge with a button. For example, when the badge appears in the same area of the page as buttons.
- To call attention to new or updated content, consider changing the background color of the object itself or experiment with changing the font weight.
- When users already expect content to be updated frequently. For example, on a site dedicated to breaking news. In this case placing the new content at the top may be enough.
- Don’t overdo it — if everything on a page is called out as important, nothing is important.
- Users may confuse badges as buttons. Always conduct usability testing to make sure your particular implementation is not causing frustration.
- Don’t mix interactive and static badges on your site. Once you establish a pattern for how badges behave, users will expect that behavior every time.
- When badges are used to call out new content that is dynamically loaded onto a page, be sure to use ARIA live regions to alert screen readers of the change.
- Further usability testing should be done to ensure badges aren't being confused with buttons. Further iteration can be done with sizing and colors if there is confusion.
For more information about how we tested and validated our work for each checklist item, read our component maturity documentation.
ColorMeets AA color contrast standards for accessibility and color blindness.Complete
Forced Colors Mode (FCM)While using FCM the components text is legible and improves readability.Complete
WCAG 2.1 Level AA ConformanceAll Axe checks for WCAG AA compliance have passed.Complete
Screen readersVoiceOver, NVDA, and JAWS screen readers provide concise communication and interaction.Complete
Keyboard navigationComponent is fully navigable with a keyboard.Not applicable
StorybookComponent has stories to cover all defined props.Complete
ResponsiveComponent designed to work in all responsive breakpoints.Complete
Spanish translationsIncludes Spanish translations for default text content.Complete
CodeTokens implemented in code.Complete
DesignTokens implemented in the Sketch.Complete